Sunday, June 3, 2012

Unbound Game 3

Sorry for the delay in postings, life has definitely been hectic!

I managed to get another Unbound game in on a day I had completely off. I got to play Danny and Brian in a 200 point per side game. Originally it was supposed to be two teams of two but one of the players (my teammate) had to drop so I just played both armies. Danny played Circle and Brian played Skorne. We set up around noon and finished the game (calling it during Round 3, I'll explain later) around 8 PM. Unbound takes quite awhile!

I played the following list:
200+21 points, 107 models
Lich Lord Asphyxious  +6 points
* Cankerworm  5 points
* 2x Deathripper  4 points each
* Skarlock Thrall  2 points

Wraith Witch Deneghra  +6 points
* 2x Deathripper  4 points each
* Nightmare  10 points
* Stalker  4 points
* Skarlock Thrall  2 points

Master Necrotech Mortenebra  +4 points
* Deryliss
* Deathjack  12 points
* Harrower  10 points
* Scavenger  4 points
* 3x Slayer  6 points each

Lord Exhumator Scaverous  +5 points
* Deathripper  4 points
* Erebus  8 points
* Ripjaw  5 points
* Seether  9 points
* Skarlock Thrall  2 points

Wrong Eye  9 points
* Snapjaw
* Bull Snapper  3 points

10 Bane Knights  10 points
Bane Lord Tartarus  4 points
10 Bane Thralls  8 points
* Bane Thrall Officer & Standard  3 points
6 Bile Thralls  5 points
6 Bile Thralls  5 points
Darragh Wrathe  4 points
Gorman Di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist  2 points
Machine Wraith  1 point
10 Mechanithralls  5 points
Necrosurgeon & Stitch Thralls  2 points
2x Pistol Wraith  3 points each
Satyxis Raider Captain  2 points
10 Satyxis Raiders  8 points
* Satyxis Sea Witch  2 points
Saxon Orrik  2 points
5 Soulhunters  9 points
3x Warwitch Siren  2 points each
Withershadow Combine  5 points
Wraith Engine  9 points

Unbound Formations
Death Mongers: Slayers gain Death Dealer (+2 melee attack rolls against troopers)
Bonepickers: Deathrippers gain Dodge.

 I felt this list solved a lot of problems by having a great deal of options for anything.

We played the Occupation scenario. The point of the scenario is to have more models in the Town Square than your opponent. We played the team as one player rather than two.
Here's the setup:
Here's the table with our armies setup. I had to deploy second.
Cryx Deployment:
Skorne/Circle Deployment:
Here's the final table layout after Round 3 Turn 2 (Baldur2's turn).
The reason we called the game is because Baldur2 feated. With his feat, it causes all Friendly models to gain Roots of Earth. Without being able to move most of the models in the square (or some on the flanks), it was effectively Deneghra2's feat. I had scored a point the previous round and was in a pretty commanding position after this turn. I would have had issues dealing with Roots of Earth except that I could still purge over some of the army in the square. We concluded that I would have scored another point this round.

Hidden in the last picture, behind the buildings in the upper left, is Deneghra2. She hasn't used her feat yet. After finding out what happened with Baldur2, she was in a position to keep her feat and use it next round. This is what would have won me the game. Nothing else could enter the zone and I'd be able to flood it with more models. It would have not been pretty for the other team.

Things I've learned:
Utilize a lot of fast models. I had a unit of Soulhunters and a unit of Satyxis Raiders. These were my fast troops. They did fantastic hitting my opponents' line on their side of the table and jamming them there. I had +2 on the initiative roll all game and it helped me pull out a victory.
Have a plan for each battlegroup. I spent too much time each round trying to figure out which battlegroup to utilize first. I got faster at it over the course of the game, but it takes awhile.
Utilize models that can kill a lot of opposing models. I took a lot of heavies in the game, but then loaded them all up on the left flank. I should have had a Harrower in the center of the table to play clean up on all those troops there. I don't really know why I didn't. I will next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment