Sunday, February 27, 2011

Painted Totem Hunter

I started painting this model specifically for a stamp in out Battle Journals (they record our accomplishments throughout the year in relations to Warmachine and Hordes) for this first seasonal league.  We had to paint a Mercenary or Minion model/unit, and I painted the Totem Hunter because the model is pretty cool looking and has some awesome abilities.

This model was done in three stages.  The first stage was the base layer of paint.  There is no shading, no highlight of the model at this point.  This is just straight colors out of the pot.
The second stage was the dip.  This is a the Strong Tone Quickshade from The Army Painter.  It provides a very quick shading to the model and just speeds up the painting of the model (with the collection I have, I need it!).  After the dip dries, it leaves the model looking very, very wet!  In these photos, the model is completely dry and it still looks like the model has just come out of the water!  This leads to the third stage...
At this stage, I take the Anti-Shine Matt Varnish from The Army Painter and hit it with between 5-7 thin coats.  This dulls the model down a lot and makes that "wet" look go completely away.  At this point, I based the model with my ballast mixture I have and used some Highland Tuft from The Army Painter and create the basing.  I used a Gold Fine Point Marker to create the lines on the side of the base to show the facing of the model.

You can see what the original model from Privateer Press looks like to compare against mine.


  1. As a side note, thank you Ben B. for introducing me to the Army Painter Quickshade. Without your insistence, I would never have tried it out.

  2. Wow, that Anti-Shine Matt Varnish does wonders. I was trying to think of a nice way to say it looked retardedly shiney, but that fixed it right up.