Sunday, February 6, 2011

Painted Cankerworm

This model was the only unpainted model I used in the last battle report and it made me realize that I could paint it within a day or two if I worked on it.  So I did.  This is the finished product.  The base came with the model, I did not custom make it (I wish I was that talented).  I used a total of 10 colors on this model: Thamar Black, Necrotite Green, Molten Bronze, Pig Iron, Blighted Gold, and 'Jack Bone on the main part of the Cankerworm.  I used Rhulic Gold, Brass Balls, Battlefield Brown, and Bloodstone with Pig Iron, Molten Bronze, and 'Jack Bone on the base.  I used an Armor Wash on the model, which is really a black wash.  I'm quite happy with the model and think he goes really well with the Lich Lord Asphyxious model I painted last.
 Last but not least, Asphyxious and his creation, together fully painted at last!

The big criticism I have for myself is that I don't highlight enough and the skulls on both models really need a highlight.

You can see the inspiration I used at Privateer Press' Gallery of Cryx Warjacks.

6 comments:

  1. All my figure drawing classes involved the following critique. Push the darks and lights.
    Contrast is king. Also if you want better critiques, take a picture with a white backdrop in sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A white-box is going to be one of my first purchases now that I'm doing this. I need one to take better photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't even really need a box. Just a couple pieces of paper from the printer works fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried this (you already know the limits of my DIY skills), but there's a tutorial on Dakka Dakka before you go out and buy things:

    http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/256846.page

    ReplyDelete
  5. There used to be a better one, but I think that website is gone now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can get a light box and lights pretty cheap at Think Geek: http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/cameras-photography/a205/

    Thanks for the comment about my Kroot on my blog. I added your blog to my links!

    ReplyDelete